Saturday, September 5, 2009

If hands could free you, heart, by Philip Larkin


Francis Poulenc - Improvisations No. 7 in C major
with Pascal Rogé

If hands could free you, heart,
...Where would you fly?
Far, beyond every part
Of earth this running sky
Makes desolate? Would you cross
City and hill and sea,
...If hands could set you free?

I would not lift the latch;
...For I could run
Through fields, pit-valleys, catch
All beauty under the sun--
Still end in loss:
I should find no bent arm, no bed
...To rest my head.


thank you Roxana for the poem
thank you vv for the music

8 comments:

Roxana said...

:-)

Manuela said...

saru'mana :)

Prospero said...

If you could hear,heart,
what would be your pleasure? Music?

m said...

you know, i've always suspected it's silence.

A Cuban In London said...

And thank you for posting it. Beautiful. Many thanks. I am back now from my holidays in Spain.

Greetings from London.

Prospero said...

i thought i was the nihilist

Manuela said...

God's first language is Silence. Everything else is a translation. —Thomas Keating

Manuela said...

Cuban in London - It is good to have you back. And in such tantalizing fashion as that last 'to be continued' post of yours... I'll be sure to follow.